Chapter 20

Cilla dropped her bag to the floor and collapsed on the couch with a groan. She was glad the day was over. Putting her feet up on the coffee table she reached over and dug in her bag for her sketch book. She had a few more ideas for the cake that Jon wanted and she wanted to get them down before she forgot. Thumbing through her book and while contemplating the need for a computer, she came across sketches for an addition to her shop that she had been considering.

The space next to her shop had been empty for a while now and she had been thinking about expanding. On more than one occasion customers had inquired about coffee and she had been considering adding a coffee bar and some small tables for her customers to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee along with a sweet or two. That would require hiring more help and not to mention a lot of red tape and hoop jumping to get a permit. She sighed; do I really want to do this?

Setting her book down she got up to make herself some dinner. While she made her sandwich and poured a glass of milk her thoughts turned to Jon and how he had spent his day.

Jon was, at that moment, refereeing a battle between Jake and Romeo and cursing Cilla for sending the cookies. “You’ll have to share it.” Jake stamped his foot, “I don’t want to!” Jon looked down at both his boys, “you each already had one, you need to share the last one.” “NO!” they both cried at the same time. Jon put the cookie back in the box, “then neither of you can have it.” Jake tried again, “please dad, I’m older than him, I should get the cookie.” Jon tried not to smile, how many times did I try that line when I was his age? “Sorry bud, you share it or you don’t get any.”

When he finally persuaded the boys to see things his way Jon shuttled them off to bed and sat down on the couch. He was holding his phone, wondering if he should call Cilla when Steph came up and sat down next to him. “Hey Steph. What’s up? What’s your brother doing?” She looked at her dad, “Jess is playing on his computer. You’ve seemed distracted today dad. Everything all right?” Jon looked at his daughter; his eyes stared back from a face so much like her mother’s. “I’m fine, just got a lot on my mind.” Steph nodded, she knew the last leg of the tour was starting up the following week. That always took a toll on her dad.

“Were you going to call someone?” Jon looked down at the phone in his hand, “yeah, actually I was.”

Steph knew Richie had left that afternoon to go back to LA to spend time with Ava so he couldn’t have been calling him. “Who were you going to call?” Jon studied his daughter, no point in lying to her. “The woman I’ve been seeing.” Steph’s eyes widened, “you’re seeing someone too?” Jon caught the last of her statement and was surprised himself at that. “What do you mean ‘too’? And yes, I am.” Steph sighed, “mom’s seeing someone too. Who is the woman dad?”

Jon debated on how much information to share without talking to Dorothea. “Her name is Cilla. She’s the woman who did your birthday cake, she’s also the woman who provided the cookies and brownies you guys scarfed down earlier.” Steph smiled, “well, they were good. Did you expect us not to eat them?” Jon laughed, “no, but I hoped you’d leave me something.” Jess came in and joined them then. “What’s going on?” Steph looked at her brother, “dad’s got a girlfriend.” Jess looked at his dad, “really?”

Jon sighed and nodded his head, “yeah.” He stood and looked at his two eldest children, “are you guys okay with this?” Steph and Jess nodded their heads, “yeah dad, I guess” Jess told him. “Mom’s seeing someone, why shouldn’t you?” Jon sat down on the coffee table in front of them, “I know this is hard, but you know we still love you guys, right?” They nodded their heads. “We know.” Steph continued, “it just sucks that you and mom couldn’t stay together.” Jon reached over and hugged her, “I know sweetie, but it just wasn’t working anymore. We’re better off apart.” He looked over at Jess, “now why don’t we watch a movie and I’ll make that phone call later?”

They walked into the family room and Jess turned to Jon, “will we get to meet her dad?” Jon laid his hand on Jess’s shoulder and walked further into the room, “yes, you’ll all get to meet her.”

After the movie Jess and Steph went to their rooms and Jon went out on the terrace and pulled out his phone.

A ringing roused her and her hand groped across the night table for the phone. “Hello.”

Jon winced at the groggy voice. “Hey. Sorry I woke you.” Cilla shifted in the bed, “it’s okay. Are you all right?” Jon sat down on one of the chaises and stretched out, “yeah, I didn’t realize how late it was. I just wanted to talk to you.” She sat up a little, “what’s going on?” Jon sighed and related the conversation with his kids to her. “They want to meet you and they told me Dot is seeing someone too.”

Cilla twisted her fingers in the sheets, “and that’s bothering you?” Jon nodded, “it shouldn’t but it is.” Cilla thought for a minute, “you know, you guys were together a long time. It’s bound to hurt a little that she’s with someone else. Does she know that you’re seeing someone?” Jon smiled, “she will tomorrow. I’ll tell her when I drop the kids off.”

Cilla yawned, “how do you think she’s going to take the news?” Jon stood and walked back inside, “I have no idea, but hopefully she’ll be okay with it.” He heard her yawn again, “go back to sleep Cilla. I’m sorry I woke you.” She curled into the blankets, “its okay, I’m glad you called.” Jon smiled, “I’ll see you tomorrow, good night Cil.” He barely heard her whispered “good night” before he closed his phone

2 comments:

Peg said...

Well I'm thrilled he was honest with the kids & that they seemed ok with it. Divorce is so hard on kids but give them time, they will adjust and I'm sure, they will love Cilla.

Great chapter, can't wait for the next installment.

joviswillow said...

Allright Miss Queenie, I've been reading all weekend and I'm enjoying the heck out of this story. I can't wait to get all caught up!

By far my favorite character is Sid. I've had friends like him. I can't wait for the first time he meets Richie, that will be a hoot!

 
©2009 Sweet Dreams | by TNB