Chapter 19

As the hazy light of dawn crept through the window Cilla gazed down at the man sleeping in her bed. He was lying on his back, one hand was splayed across his chest and the other was flung up over his head. She couldn’t help the smile that tugged at her lips as she studied his hands. His fingers were slightly bent and she felt her face flush as she recalled just exactly what those fingers had done to her in the night. She reached over and brushed a kiss across his stubbly cheek before turning to leave.

“Where are you going?”

Cilla stopped at the whispery, raspy voice and turned back, “shh, go back to sleep. I’m going to work.”

He rolled over, “come here.”

She walked back to the bed and he tugged her down to sit next to him. “Will I see you later?” She nodded her head, “sure, come down to the shop before you leave.” She stroked her fingers across his cheek, “I have to go.” He leaned up and kissed her, “see you later.” She nodded and stood and he rolled over and burrowed back into the covers.

~

Cilla had just come back into the kitchen when Sid swung in through the back door. “Good morning Cil.” She smiled at him, “good morning Sid.” He went and got this apron and looked around as he tied it in the back. “No surprise visitors this morning?” She smiled as she kissed his cheek, “not yet.” He stepped back, “again? You slept with him again? You hussy you.” Cilla laughed; “you seemed surprised Sid. What, didn’t you think I had it in me?”

Sid looked at his best friend, “girl I knew you had it in you; I just didn’t think you knew.” She laughed, “I think I forgot for a while Sid.” He hugged her, “Cilla my dear, I think you’ve gotten your groove back.”

Together they finished loading the cases and readied the shop for their day. They carried the trays back to the sink and Sid turned to Cilla, “don’t forget about dinner tomorrow night.” Cilla looked at him blankly before realization dawned, “oh crap Sid, I totally forgot about your monthly, let’s-set-Cilla-up-with-someone dinner.” Sid tried to look insulted, “we never try to set you up with anyone Cilla. I’m hurt.”

Cilla filled the sink with soapy water, “what about the guy last month, Mark’s accountant friend, Terry I think his name was? You practically had us married and living in Westchester by the end of the night.” Sid waived his hand, “bah, one time we tried to get you together with someone. You’ll still come tomorrow, right? You can bring Jon if you want.”

“Bring me where if she wants?”

Startled, Sid dropped the trays to the counter with a clatter. “Dammit Jon, stop doing that to me.” He laughed, “but its fun to frazzle you Sid.”

Cilla laughed and dried her hands before going to greet him, “good morning.” He leaned down and kissed her, “good morning to you.” He looked over at Sid, “where is Cilla going and taking me if she wants to?”

He picked up the trays and set them in the hot water, “dinner with Mark and I at our place tomorrow night. I hope you both can make it.”

Cilla looked up at Jon, “every month they invite me to dinner and try to set me up with one of their straight friends. So far, their track record sucks.” Jon laughed, “well then, this should prove to be an interesting evening. What time?”

Sid went and opened the shop as Cilla poured Jon a cup of coffee and filled him in on the details. As she sat down on the stool next to him he took her hand, “I won’t see you again until tomorrow.” She looked up at him, “got stuff to do?” He smiled at her, “yeah, I’ve got my kids today and tonight.” She got up and pulled one of her pink boxes from the shelf, “then you need some treats for them.” She went out front and filled the box with cookies and brownies, adding a cannoli before closing the lid and tying the string around it.

Jon looked up when she walked back in the kitchen and set the box in front of him, “you didn’t have to do that Cil.” She laid her hand on his shoulder, “I know; I wanted to. I even put something in there for you; just don’t let Richie see it.” He laughed, knowing what she had put in the box for him. He finished his coffee, grabbed the box and stood, “I should get going. Dot’s going to drop the kids off at noon and I have some stuff to do first.”

She walked him to the back door, “I’ll see you tomorrow night then?” He tugged her to him with his free hand, “I’ll pick you up at 7.” Cilla looked up at him, “have a good day with the kids today Jon.” He lowered his mouth “I will” he told her just before his lips met hers.

1 comments:

Peg said...

Great chapter!! I love that Jon & Cilla are becoming so close. Sid is just a hoot. Dinner should be great fun.

 
©2009 Sweet Dreams | by TNB