Chapter 29

Driving out of the City and heading to Dot’s, Jon replayed his conversation with Cilla over in his head. What kind of man was her ex? That question kept cropping up over and over. While Jon could admit to moments of being an asshole, he couldn’t understand how a person could be so blatantly cruel. He thought of Cilla and smiled. She deserved to be treated with respect she deserved to be spoiled, she deserved a whole hell of a lot better than her ex-husband had ever been to her.

Jon's fists tightened on the wheel as he thought again of their conversation that morning. Shaking his head in hopes of clearing the anger, he pressed a button on his phone, “call Cilla.” His fingers tapped along with the music as he waited.

Cilla had the vacuum going and was halfway under the bed when the phone rang. She banged her head as she tried to get to the phone. “Son of a...” She was rubbing at the slight bump when she answered. “Hello.”

Jon turned the music down, “hi Cil.”

She let her hand drop to her side, “hi Jon. What’s going on? Miss me already?”

Jon chuckled. “I missed you the second I left this morning. What’re you up to?”

Cilla smiled. “I miss you too and I’m cleaning my apartment. Someone kept me too busy yesterday so I was forced to do it today.”

He conjured a vision of Cilla, dust rag in one hand, a smudge of dirt on her cheek and smiled. “Sorry about that. You should have said something.”

Cilla shook her head, “it’s no big deal. I thought you were seeing your kids today. Where are you?”

Jon turned into the Dot’s driveway. “I just got to Dot’s to pick the kids up.” He sighed, “her and I need to talk.”

That was the second time he had said that to her and her curiosity was piqued. “Is okay for me to ask about what?”

Jon shut the car off, “It’s fine. We need to talk about you and her new friend and the kids. I wanted to do this last week but she didn’t have time so today’s the day.”

Cilla sat down, “should I be worried?”

Jon got out of the car and walked up the front steps, “no Cil you shouldn’t. Everything will be fine. I gotta go. I’ll call you later.” Before Cilla could say goodbye, he was gone.

Jon rang the bell and heard the pounding of feet as one of the kids ran to the door. “Daddy!” Jon looked down into Jake’s face, “hey buddy.” He stepped inside and swung Jake up into his arms, “why are you answering the door? Where’s Tina?” Jake smiled, “she took Romeo upstairs and mommy’s on the phone. ‘Sides, I knew it was you.”

Jon set the little boy on his feet, “how did you know it was me?” Jake folded his arms across his chest, “I looked out the window and saw your car.” Jake didn’t say it, but the “duh” was there just the same. Jon laughed, “where’s your mother?”

“Right here.”

Jon turned and saw Dorothea standing in the doorway, “hey.” She nodded, “hey yourself.” Jon turned back to Jake, “your mom and I need to talk bud. Why don’t you get your stuff ready for my house, okay?” Jake nodded, “okay” and took off running. Jon shook his head, “will he ever learn to just walk somewhere?” Dot shook her head, “doubtful. Come on, want a cup of coffee?”

Jon followed his ex-wife into the kitchen and watched as she poured them both mugs of coffee. She handed him one of the mugs as she sat down, “so, what did you need to talk to me about?”

Jon took a fortifying sip of his coffee, “my new girlfriend and your new boyfriend.”

Dot set her mug down and pushed at her glasses, “you have a girlfriend?” Jon nodded, “I started seeing someone about a week ago.” He sipped at his coffee, “I heard you’re seeing someone too?” Dot nodded, “I am. For about a month now.” Jon’s brows lifted in surprise, “A month? When were you going to tell me? And why did the kids find out before I did?”

Dorothea sighed, “the only reason the kids found out is because he’s Jesse’s football coach. And I didn’t tell you because I wanted to be sure this wasn’t going to be just a fling.” She met Jon’s gaze, “I’m sorry.” Surprised at the hurt he felt he tried not to show it. “It’s all right. I know now. So, Rick huh. Never would have figured that.” Dot shrugged, “he’s a nice guy. So, who’s the new woman in your life? Anyone I know?”

Jon finished his coffee and shook his head, “I don’t think so. She made Steph’s birthday cake. Her name is Cilla. She owns her own shop, Cilla ~ Queen of Tarts.” It was Dot’s turn to be surprised, “I’ve been in her shop and seen her.” Jon toyed with his coffee mug, “She’s a nice woman and I like her, a lot. You should know that there may be pictures in the papers tomorrow. We were out and about yesterday.” Dot nodded her head, “thanks for the heads up. Have the kids met her yet?” Jon shook his head, “not really. They know I’m seeing someone and she sent cookies home for them but no, they haven’t met her in person yet.”

Dot stood, taking their mugs to the sink, “are you going to introduce them to her?” Jon stood and stretched, “I was planning on it, that’s why I wanted to talk to you. Are you all right with it?” Dot sighed, “I guess.” She paused, thinking of all their years together and where they were now, “how did we end up here Jonny? I thought we were supposed to be for forever.” He crossed the room and stood behind her, laying his hands lightly on her shoulders, “I don’t know Dot. I’m sorry I couldn’t give you your happy ever after.”

She turned and pressed a kiss to his cheek, “just be happy now Jon and if this woman is right for you, don’t screw it up.” He laughed quietly as she moved past him, “I’ll try not to.” She took his hand and dragged Jon out of the kitchen, “now go take your kids and have a good time.”

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great chapter. Loving the way this is playing out.

Hope you had happy holidays.

Colleen

 
©2009 Sweet Dreams | by TNB