Chapter 36

Sid swung into the kitchen to see if Cilla had returned and found her absently kneading a ball of fondant, a dreamy, far away look on her face. “Thank goodness you’re back we’re running low on…” he stopped when he realized she wasn’t paying attention to him. Walking over he waved a hand in front of her face, “Cilla.” She started and looked up at him, “oh hey Sid what’s up?”

He studied her for a minute, “how long have you been back?” She glanced up at the clock, “five minutes or so. Why?” He stroked his chin thoughtfully, “what’d you go upstairs for?” She couldn’t keep the flush from creeping into her cheeks. “I forgot something and went back to get it.”

Sid smirked. He knew what she went upstairs for and he wanted to hear her say it. “Jon’s up there and you went up for a booty call didn’t you?” Cilla laughed, “dammit, I never could lie to you could I? Besides, tell me you wouldn’t have done the same thing.” He shook his head and laughed, “no you big ho, you couldn’t. And if I had that in my bed, you’d never see me again. What is going on with you?” She shrugged her shoulders, “he’s leaving day after tomorrow for six weeks. I’m just trying to make the most of our time together.” Sid kissed her cheek, “good for you. You know I could handle things here if you want to disappear for the rest of the day.”

“That’s the best idea I’ve heard in a long time Sid. And stop kissing my woman.”

Cilla and Sid jumped and turned to find Jon standing in the doorway. Cilla walked over to him and wrapped her arms around him, “hi.” He kissed the top of her head, “hi. What do you say Sweets, want to play hooky with me today?” Cilla raised her head and touched her lips to his, “I want to say yes, you have no idea how much I want to say yes Jon, but I really should work on this cake.” Jon opened his mouth to say something but Sid interrupted him, “Cilla you don’t have to deliver this cake until Saturday and you’re almost done with everything already. Cut the guy a break and go play today.”

Between the hopeful look on Jon’s face and the fact that Sid was right, Cilla couldn’t find it in herself to say no. “You’re sure you’ll be all right Sid?” He waved her off, “go already. I’ll be fine. You just owe me that’s all.” She went and kissed him on the mouth, “of course. How about we go shopping on Sunday? I’ll let you pick some stuff out for me.” His eyes widened and he couldn’t stop the grin, “really? Even shoes? At real stores, not your favored second hand shops?”

Cilla walked back over to Jon as she laughed, “yes Sid, God help me, at real stores, I promise. Now, there are more cookies and brownies in the warming oven and Mrs. Johnson is coming in this afternoon to pick up her cookie tray. It’s in the fridge. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Jon and Cilla trooped back up the stairs so she could change. “What do you want to do today?” Jon sat on her bed as she rummaged for clothes. Finding a pair of capri pants she looked over at him, “you’re leaving in two days, is there anything you need to do today?” Jon sighed, there were a few things he needed to do, some things he had been neglecting. “Actually there are a couple things I need to do. I have to go meet with Paul in about an hour. Do you want to come with me?”

She thought about his offer as she buttoned a tan camp shirt over her camisole and slid her feet into a pair of well-loved Keds. “You’re sure I won’t be in the way?” He crossed the room to her and took her hand, “you won’t be in the way. We’ll take my Chevelle and go for a drive after, how does that sound?” She smiled at him as they walked out the door, “sounds perfect.”

After stopping at Jon’s so he could shower and change they headed to BJM. Jon reached his arm across the bench seat of the Chevelle to grab Cilla’s hand, “this is the problem with older cars.” She looked at him, “what is?” He tugged on her hand, trying to draw her closer to him, “you’re too far away.” She smiled and unbuckled her seatbelt, sliding over next to him, “is this better?” Wrapping his arm around her shoulders he slowed for the light, “much.”

When they reached the BJM offices Cilla was surprised by the innocuous looking office building. “This is it?” she asked in wonder as Jon opened the door for her. He looked at the building and then back at her, “yeah, you were expecting something else?” She shrugged as they walked inside, “I’m not sure what I thought but I guess something a little more, I don’t know, upscale.”

He pressed the button for the elevator, “it’s just an average office space for a band of average guys.” Cilla looked at him like had grown another head, “average? You guys are more than average Jon.” When the door slid open on the fourth floor he took her hand again, “no we’re not Sweets. We’re just five average guys who have made a good living doing what they love.”

When they walked in they found Paul on the phone. He held up a finger indicating he was just about finished. Jon led Cilla to a small kitchenette and poured himself a cup of coffee, “want something?” Her eyes darted around the small room, “coffee’s fine, thanks.” They grabbed their cups and walked back out just as Paul was hanging up the phone. “Hi Jon, how’s it going? And who’s this?” The men shook hands, “you tell me, are we all set to go on Thursday?” Paul nodded, “just a couple minor loose ends to tie up, but first are you going to introduce me to this lovely lady?”

Jon pulled Cilla to stand in front of him, “Cilla, this is Paul Korzilius, without him, I’m sure we’d still be playing bars and clubs instead of stadiums and arenas.” Cilla held out her hand “it’s nice to meet you.” Paul took her hand, “Cilla, you’re the woman who’s making the cake for the last night of the tour, right? Jon’s told me about you. It’s nice to meet you.”

Cilla sat quietly as Jon and Paul talked about the upcoming six weeks. She watched as Jon quietly slipped into businessman mode as they discussed different dates, stage set up, hotels, flights, breaks and all the ins and outs of their business. She was impressed at how much involvement Jon actually had. He really did run the show; anyone and anything that had to do with Bon Jovi, Jon had final say over. This was so different from how she had seen him in the last two weeks. Friend, lover, father, now business man, she smiled as she wondered just how many more layers there were to discover about this man.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad Jon is including Cilla in his business life. I wonder if he'll ask her to join him in Europe. Hope so!!

Colleen

 
©2009 Sweet Dreams | by TNB