Chapter 31

Sid’s words rang in her ears all while she was locking up and as she showered the day off. You’re not his mother. She knew that, she didn’t want to be his mother. She was involved with the father and just wanted him to at least like her. She sighed as she wrapped herself in a towel and lay back on her bed. Time, she thought, just give him some time and he’ll come around. Sitting up she ran her hands through her hair and her phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Hey Sweets, what are you doing right now?” Jon was smiling as he waited for her answer.

She looked down at herself, “contemplating getting dressed and foraging in my fridge for dinner.”

Jon walked from the living room to the kitchen, away from his kids as he pictured her naked. “You’re naked?”

Cilla nodded, “well sort of.”

Jon chuckled, “how can you be ‘sort of’ naked?”

She smiled, “I’m wearing a towel.”

Jon closed his eyes, “I wish I was there right now. Do you know what I’d do if I was?”

Cilla lay back down on the bed, “Tell me.”

Jon felt a tug on his pant leg and remembered his kids were in the room, “damn Sweets, I forgot the kids were here. Hold that thought for another time.”

Cilla sighed, “okay. So, did you actually call for something or was it just to get me all flustered?”

Jon laughed, “no, I actually called to invite you to dinner, getting you flustered was just a bonus. So, do you wanna join me and my brood tonight?”

Cilla hesitated slightly, “I don’t know Jon. Romeo didn’t seem to want anything to do with me earlier; do you think it’s a good idea for me to come there?”

Jon moved back to the doorway of the living room. Looking around the room, his eyes landed on his youngest, “I think the more he sees us together the more he’ll get used to the idea of us. Say yes, please Sweets. I want to see you, I need to see you.”

Cilla relented, “okay Jon, I’ll be over soon. Oh, just one thing, what’s with the ‘Sweets’?”

Jon smiled, “It seems to fit, considering what you do. See you shortly.” Then he was gone.

Jon turned to his children, “okay listen up boys and girl, Cilla is coming for dinner. I expect you all to behave yourselves.” They all groaned an “okay” at their father. Jesse piped up, “is she bringing dessert?” Jon shrugged his shoulders, “I have no idea, but don’t be disappointed if she doesn’t.” Jesse’s shoulders slumped as he nodded, “okay dad.”

Jon stepped back and surveyed the living room. There were magazines strewn across the coffee table, action figures and match box cars spread out on the floor and the video games were haphazardly stacked near the television. “Can we pick some of this stuff up before she gets here please?”

By the time Cilla knocked on the door, the living room was put to rights and the kids were no where to be found. Jon opened the door, tugging her close and kissing her gently. When he let her go she held up her pink box, “hi. I brought dessert.” Jon kissed her again, “hi yourself and Jesse will be thrilled.”

She followed Jon into the kitchen and he took the box and set it on top of the fridge, “it doesn’t need to go in the refrigerator does it?” She walked over to him and wrapped her arms around him, “actually, there are two things in there that do, the rest will be fine up there.” He smiled down at her, knowing that she had put something special in the box for him, “you are too good to me.” She shrugged her shoulders, “someone has to be.”

A soft cough had then jumping apart. They looked over and saw Steph standing in the doorway. “Hi Cilla, it’s nice to see you again.” Cilla smiled at the girl, “you too Stephanie.” Jon smiled at his daughter, “what’s up Steph?” She shrugged, “nothing, just wondered when dinner will be ready.” Jon moved to the stove and turned the pot of water on. “As soon as the spaghetti is cooked; give me about 20 minutes okay?” She nodded “okay. I’ll tell the others.” Steph turned to leave and Jon stopped her, “hey, can you set the table for me after you tell the boys?” Even with her facing away from him, Jon could practically see the eye roll, “I guess. I’ll be right back.”

Jon turned back to Cilla, “welcome to my world. Aren’t teenagers wonderful?” The sarcasm wasn’t lost on her. “Remember, you were one once too you know. I’m sure you pulled all the same if not worse stunts as them.” Jon sighed, “I know I did, my mother never fails to remind me and now it’s all coming back to bite me on the ass.” Cilla laughed, “what goes around comes around I guess.”

He stuck his tongue out at her, “you’re not helping.” She crossed the room and hugged him from behind, his hard, strong back warm under her cheek, “you’ll be fine Jon. Your parents survived your teens and you’ll survive your children’s. Now, how’s that spaghetti coming, I’m hungry.”

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm - wonder how dinner will go. Hopefully the fact Cilla brought desert will help thaw Romeo a bit.

Great chapter!! So loving this story!! Thank you.

Colleen

 
©2009 Sweet Dreams | by TNB