Chapter 8

Lying in bed that night Cilla kept going over the events of her day. They had finished their tour of the park at Kerbs Ice Cream and had shared a banana split. Over bits of fudge sauce and whipped cream Jon had told her "I'd like to see you again." She rolled over in her bed, why did I say yes? When am I going to have time? Sid is going to have a field day with this. She sighed and punched her pillow, every time she shut her eyes Jon's intense blue ones floated into view. She looked over at the clock and groaned may as well get up. She wasn't going to sleep anyway.

She was in the kitchen tidying up when Sid showed up. "Hey sweetie" he kissed her cheek. "How was the rest of your Sunday?" She turned to face him, "just fine no thanks to you. You and Mark just had to leave me alone with him, didn't you?" Sid tied his apron on, "you didn't scare him away did you?" She stuck her tongue out at him, "no. We went up to Central Park and walked around for a while before sharing a sundae at Kerbs." Sid raised his eyebrows, "really?" She nodded. "Yeah. He asked to see me again."

Sid's eyes lit up, he got all excited, "really? When? Where's he taking you?" He narrowed his eyes at her, "What're you going to wear?" Cilla held up her hand "Sid, stop. Just stop right now." He changed course, "okay, can you at least tell me that you said yes to seeing him again?" She sighed, "I did say yes, but I have no idea as to the where, when or what of it. Now, let's get to work."

Sid went and unlocked the front door, and nothing more was said about her potential date. They worked through the morning, making idle chit chat with customers and each other, both avoiding that subject. When the bell over the door jangled Sid called out "Welcome to Cilla's, how can we satisfy your sweet tooth today?" When he got no answer he straightened up from the case he was straightening, it was Jon.

"Well hello there big fella, what can I get for you today?" Jon forced himself not to laugh, "hi, Sid is it?" He nodded, "good memory. Can I help you with anything?" Jon looked around. "Is she here?" Sid stroked his chin as if deep in thought, "who?" This time Jon chuckled, "you know who. Cilla. Is she here?" Sid sighed, as if disappointed, "I'll go get her. Just a sec."

Cilla was up to her elbows in soapy water in the kitchen. Sid came back out from the back, "she's in the back Jon, come around here and you can go see her." Sid smirked and waited. He knew she was going to have his ass for letting Jon back there, but sometimes, as much as he loved Cilla, she needed a good shove to get her going.

Jon walked into the kitchen and stopped. Cilla was at the sink, her beautiful dark hair was wrapped up in a knot at the back of her head, the sleeves of her shirt were rolled up to her elbows and her shorts were smudged with flour. "Hey Cilla." She jumped and threw water and bubbles everywhere. Turning toward the voice she hoped was in her imagination she swore inwardly when she saw Jon standing there. I really need to kill Sid. "Hi Jon."

He walked over to her and with his index finger wiped the bubbles from her forehead, "hi there. I hope I didn't come at a bad time." She groped behind her for a towel and wiped her hands, "no, you just caught me tidying up. What can I do for you?" He smiled, "I was hoping you'd let me take you to dinner tonight."

Tonight, he wanted to take her out tonight?

She intended to say no but her mouth didn't cooperate. "I'd like that. You just need to know that I won't be able to stay out late. My days start early." He nodded his understanding, "that's okay. I'll pick you up at seven, will that work for you?" She nodded, "that'll be fine. Where are we going?"

He tucked a stray lock of hair back away from her face "some place quiet and out of the way. Is that all right?" She nodded, "do you want to know where I live?" He chuckled, "that would be helpful." They walked toward the door together, "right over the shop. Just come around the back and up the stairs." He took her hand and brought it to his lips, kissing it gently "see you at seven." He left the door swinging gently as he disappeared out front.

Cilla finished the dishes before going to talk to Sid. He was just finishing up with a customer and Cilla locked the door behind him as he left. He looked up, startled when he heard the click of the lock. "Closing early today?" She took his arm and led him to the back, "what was the big idea letting Jon come back here?" He just shrugged his shoulders, "he wanted to see you. I didn't think you would mind."

Cilla paced back and forth before turning to Sid, "he's taking me to dinner tonight. This is all your fault." His eyes widened, "my fault, how is Jon taking you to dinner my fault?" Cilla threw her hands up, "if you hadn't made me to deliver that damn cake all by myself, none of this would be happening."

Sid took hold of Cilla's arms, keeping her in front of him, "look Cil, why is this a bad thing? He seems like a nice guy and he's certainly good to look at. Hell, I'd go out with him if he asked." Cilla laughed at that thought. He would. Sid went on, "you spent the day with him yesterday and he wants to take you to dinner. Let him. You haven't been on a date in months. You need to get out and enjoy yourself a little." He leaned in so they were nearly nose to nose, "he's not Charles." Cilla's eyes widened, "I know he's not." Sid eased back, "then what's the problem? Jon is a fine specimen of a man. I don't see an issue here."

"Look at me." Cilla was determined to get Sid to understand. "Why would that 'fine specimen' of a man want to go out with me? I'm certainly not the 'fine specimen' of a woman worthy enough to go out with him." Sid dragged her to the bathroom and stood her in front of the mirror. "Cil, you're beautiful and more than worthy enough for any man, including him. He's no better than anyone else, well maybe a little, but that's just because he is who he is. You just need to put forth a little effort."

She looked at herself in the mirror, "I don't know Sid. It's been so long." She met his eye in the mirror and sighed, "will you help me?" He smiled, "you go up and shower and after I close up, I'll meet you at your closet."

Half an hour later Sid found Cilla in her room in her thrift store silk robe, hair wrapped in a towel. "Where is he taking you?" Sid was flipping through her clothes, frowning. "He didn't say. He just said it's quiet and out of the way." Sid kept flipping, "he probably wants to avoid photographers." He paused at a dress that still had the tags on it, "how about this?" He pulled it out and held it up in front of her. She looked down at the front of herself, "I don't think so."

He waived her off, "nonsense, try it on. Let's see how it looks." He turned back to the closet, leaving Cilla no choice. She dropped the robe on her bed, found a pair of panties and slipped the dress on. It fit beautifully. The slim halter straps tied behind her neck, leaving her shoulders bare. The silvery blue made her eyes seem that much more blue and the light, airy material swirled around her, stopping just above her knees.

Sid popped up from the closet floor in time to see her do a slow spin. "Fantastic. You should wear these with it, but honestly, we need to take you shoe shopping, you need serious help here." He handed a pair of silver strappy sandals with a three inch heel. "I can't wear those. I'll break my neck." She handed them back to him, "give me my flat ones." He shook his head, "no way. You're wearing the heels, even if I have to put them on you myself." Cilla rolled her eyes, "fine. I'm going to go dry my hair now." She turned, took the dress off and put her robe back on before heading to the bathroom.

Sid poked his head in the door as she straightened and flipped her hair back, "I'm going to go. Do you think you can manage now?" She shut the dryer off and kissed him, "I'll be fine. Thanks. You're the best Sid." He preened, "I know. I'll send you the bill for my services." He pulled her in for a hug, "have a good time and try to enjoy yourself sweetie. You deserve this."

She pushed him out of the bathroom, "thank you now go. I have to finish. He's going to be here soon." Sid walked through the living room pausing at the door, "wear the shoes!" Cilla made a face, sticking her tongue out at him, "I will now get out!" His laughter rang through the apartment as the door clicked shut behind him.

When the knock came twenty minutes later, Cilla was just slicking on a bit of lipstick. She surveyed herself in the full length mirror in her room. The dress really did look nice, it was cut a little lower than she was normally comfortable with but she had her wrap she could cover up with if she needed to. Sid had been right about the shoes damn him and she hadn't fallen over yet so she figured she was all right. Her hair was a flowing mass of waves down her back and her eyes she had enhanced with just a bit of shadow. She was as ready as she could be.

Jon waited on the other side of the door. He was about to knock again when the door opened and his hand fell to his side. "Wow." His gaze roamed over her from head to toe. "You look amazing Cilla." She gave him a shy smile, "thank you. I just need to grab my wrap and my purse. Come on in for a minute." He stepped through the door and looked around. "Nice place." She picked up her things from the kitchen table, "thank you. She opened the door, "shall we?" He took her arm and they headed down the stairs together.

1 comments:

Peg said...

Great chapter!! I just love Sid. A girl couldn't ask for a better friend. Go Cilla, have a good time & relax - you need this.

Thanks for the latest chapter. I love this story alot!! I look forward to reading more.

 
©2009 Sweet Dreams | by TNB