Chapter 6

Cilla coughed and sputtered, iced tea dribbled down her chin. Oh my God. She looked over at Sid, he looked smug and full of himself. Still coughing, she turned her attention back to Jon, "Hi." He smiled, not the one he flashed at the cameras, it was more intimate, meant solely for her, "I thought that was you. Are you all right?" She nodded her head, mopping her face with a napkin, "yep, it's me. I'm fine. You?"

Sid nudged her under the table. She cut her glance from Jon to Sid, "what?" He smiled, "invite him to sit down." She rolled her eyes and looked back at Jon, "my friend here" she jabbed her thumb toward Sid, "wants to know if you'd care to join us." Sid kicked her under the table again. She tore her gaze from Jon and hissed, "kick me again and I'm out of here."

Jon laughed and shook his head at the interchange between the two, "I'd like that, thanks." He walked around and sat in the only free seat, next to Cilla. As Jon sat down Sid looked over at Cilla, he had a dreamy expression on his face as he mouthed the word fab u lous at her. She just shook her head in disbelief.

Cilla struggled to find something to talk about with this man. She had been a fan for so many years but she didn't want to come across as the scary, fawn-all-over-the-man type. She didn't have to worry. Sid hardly waited for Jon's butt to hit the seat of the chair when he started.

"How fun is this?" He looked at Mark, "we have an actual celebrity right here at our table." He looked over at Cilla, "just how long have you been a fan sweetie?" Cilla felt herself blush to the roots of her hair, she was going to kill Sid. She looked at Jon, "don't pay him any mind, he's been out in the sun too long obviously." Jon was curious, "you're really a fan?" She nodded her head, "yeah, I have been since the 80's."

Jon was intrigued, she hadn't fawned over him or Richie the day before, matter of fact when she introduced herself to Richie she hadn't seem to know his name. "You knew who Richie and I were yesterday then, didn't you?" She hung her head, "yeah, I did." He rested his arm on the table next to hers, close enough that the hairs on his tickled along the length of hers. "I never would have guessed. You were very professional yesterday. I can't tell you how much I appreciated that."

Taking offense, she turned her head then, looking directly at him, God, Sid's right, he is fabulous. I'm always professional when I'm on the job." Jon immediately realized how what he had said sounded. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. It's just that not everyone is like that Cilla, on the job or not."

She considered this, trying to see things from his perspective, understanding only then what it must be like for someone like him. "It's okay, I should have realized that some people can be other than what they seem. I can't imagine what it must be like for you." Jon just shrugged his shoulders, "you learn who you can count on and whom you shouldn’t bother with."

Sid and Mark had been quiet, just watching the interaction between Cilla and Jon. Normally Sid would have gushed all over Jon, but seeing how they were quietly enjoying each other, he decided to let Cilla alone and maybe, just maybe, something would come of this. She deserved a good man.

He nudged Mark, "I feel like talking a walk, how about you?" Mark looked across the table and then back at Sid, understanding what he was doing, "there is a little antique shop down the block I'd like to pop into. Let's go." Sid cleared his throat, Cilla and Jon were deep in conversation, not paying any attention. "Excuse me."

Cilla looked up to find Sid and Mark on their feet, "where are you two going?" She didn't want to be left alone with Jon. She was sure she would make a total fool of herself given the opportunity. Sid took Mark's hand, "we're talking a walk. There's a shop that Mark wants to check out and then, I'm not sure what. We'll just see what the afternoon brings." His words weren't lost on Cilla, he wanted her to sit here with this amazing paragon of rock and roll and try to enjoy herself, even perhaps keep him interested in her. Sid was absolutely insane.

She stood to say goodbye and whispered furiously in Sid's ear, "I'm so going to kill you. I swear to God if I make an ass of myself, my new deal of the day tomorrow is going to be chocolate Sid pie!" She turned to Mark, "it's always good to see you Mark. Enjoy your afternoon."

Jon stood and bid them both goodbye and sat back down, this time across from Cilla. "I'm not intruding on any plans you have today, am I?"

Cilla sipped the last of her iced tea, "no, you're not. Feel free to continue your walk. I'm sure you have much more interesting things to do than sit here with me." He reached across the table and placed his hand over hers, "I can't think of anything I'd rather do right now than sit here with you."

1 comments:

Peg said...

Oh great chapter!!! Thanks for the update!! I home Cilla can manage to relax & get to know him. His comment "I can't think of anything I'd rather do right now than sit here with you." ought to help her out some. I hope so anyway. He seems genuinely interested in her. Give him a chance Cilla!!

Can't wait for more!!

 
©2009 Sweet Dreams | by TNB