Chapter 71

Cilla was working intently on a cake she needed to finish for pick up that afternoon when Sid sailed in. “Good morning Cilla” he sang out as he grabbed his apron and gave her a smacking kiss on the cheek.

She smiled and kissed him back. “Hey Sid, you’re in an awfully good mood this morning.”

He winked at her, “I had an exceptionally good weekend.” He eyed her critically, “how about you?” He had worried about her after the incident with Charles. He had hoped that Jon would help her forget about the ex-ass.

Always fishing for details of her love life Cilla thought with a smile. “We had a good weekend too. Why was yours so good?”

“Mark whisked us away to Provincetown for a few days. It was just so wonderful.” He turned to face Cilla, he could hardly contain his next words he was so excited. “Mark asked me to marry him.”

“Oh my God Sid, that’s wonderful!” Cilla hugged him.

“I know. I can hardly believe it!” He nearly squealed like a school girl he was so happy.

Taking a breath Sid calmed himself a little. “You’ll stand up for me, right? You have to” he went on without giving her a chance to answer. “You’re the reason we found each other in the first place. Besides, you’re my best friend, you can’t say no.”

Cilla laughed, “Of course I’ll be there for you Sid. I get to be what, the Best Woman? Do I get to wear a tuxedo or a dress?”

Sid laughed with her, “I haven’t even thought about that yet.” He turned serious for a moment. “You’ll do our cake, right?”

She wrapped her arms around him, “you didn’t even have to ask. Of course I will. Cookies and any other desserts you want too Sid.” She kissed his cheek, “I’m very happy for you and Mark. Now, get to work.”

Sid kissed her back and extracted himself from her embrace, picking up one of the trays of desserts. “Slave driver.” He laughed as he headed toward the door. “I want to hear about your weekend too” he said as he disappeared out front.

By the time Cilla had a chance to breathe again it was late afternoon and Sid wandered back into the kitchen. Cilla was just taking a tray of cannoli shells out of the oven.

“You got an order for that many cannolis?”

Cilla turned from the cooling rack, “no, these are for Richie for his birthday. It seems the man loves cannolis.”

“Ooooh, do you get to deliver them yourself and can I come too?”

Cilla laughed. “No, I don’t get to deliver them. The guys will be in Boston doing two shows and Paul is going to pick these up late tomorrow.”

“Damn.” Sid pouted.

“Don’t worry Sid” she said. “You’ll get to meet everyone when they play Cen…” she grimaced and trailed off. She wasn’t supposed to say anything about that.

Sid’s pout disappeared and his eyebrow rose suspiciously, “when they play where?”

Cilla closed her eyes, cursing herself for not being able to keep anything to herself. “When they play Madison Square Garden.”

He shook his head. “Uh-uh. That is so not what you were going to say.”

She hung her head. “I’m not supposed to tell.”

“Aw, come on Cil, this is me. You can tell me.”

She shook her head, “nope. I promised Jon I wouldn’t say anything.”

“Please?”

She looked at him and had to laugh, he was batting his eyes at her as he pleaded. “No Sid. I promised.”

Not ready to back down he pushed again. “How would he even know you told? He’s not here is he?”

“No, but I gave him my word Sid. You’ll just have to wait and watch the press conference with me tomorrow afternoon.”

Sid sighed. “Okay, but I don’t like this, you keeping secrets from me. It’s not right. You used to tell me everything.”

Cilla grabbed his hand and dragged him toward the swinging door, “I know Sid, but this is different. Do you tell me things that Mark asks you not to?”

He frowned as they pushed through the door. “Well no, but Mark’s not Jon Bon Jovi either. You’re boyfriend is much more exciting than mine. He has better secrets.”

Cilla laughed as they cleaned the cases, “that may be, but I’m still not telling.”

They stacked the trays and wiped down glass. Sid still wasn’t happy that she wouldn’t say anything. “A hint Cil. Can you at least give me a hint?”

Cilla rolled her eyes and grabbed a stack of trays as she headed back into the kitchen. “CP.”

Sid stopped and the door hit him in the ass, bumping him forward two steps. “CP. That’s the clue? CP? What the hell is that?”

She shrugged her shoulders, “that’s the hint. That’s all I’m saying, now stop bugging me about it.”

Sid mulled it over as they washed trays and got things ready for the morning. “That’s a lousy clue Cil.”

“Actually” she said as she packed up her laptop, “that’s a really good clue.” She tried to mollify him. “Come on, tomorrow you’ll know what the big secret is. I’m sure you can wait that long Sid. It won’t kill you not to know.”

“How do you know?” he huffed. “It just might.”

Cilla laughed at her friend as they locked up. “Stop being a baby Sid. You’ll find out tomorrow. Now, I have to go over to Dean & DeLuca and pick up a few things. You want to come with? I’m going to make dinner for Jon tomorrow. I just hope the doorman will let me in to his apartment.

Together they walked the two blocks to the specialty food store. “I’m sure you’ll get in Cil” Sid told her. “You’ve been there several times already. It shouldn’t be a problem.”

Cilla picked up a basket, “I hope not. I really want this to be a surprise.” She stopped by the cheeses and picked up a wedge of brie and some crackers. “I even have a new dress to wear.”

Sid stopped, “you bought a dress? Oh my goodness. Should I be worried? It’s not from a secondhand shop is it?”

They stopped by the chocolates. “No Sid it’s not from a secondhand store. I bought it out in the Hamptons this weekend. Relax. You don’t have to worry.”

Sid wiped his brow, “well thank God for that. Do you have shoes to wear with this dress?”

Cilla got her money out to pay, “yes Sid, I have shoes.” She grabbed her bags and they headed outside. “I’m not a complete moron when it comes to clothes and shoes you know.”

“No, not completely,” he gave her a sympathetic smile, “but we both know I’m way better at it than you are.”

Cilla rolled her eyes, he was right but that didn’t mean she had to like it. “Ass. Go home to your fiancée and I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He watched her cross the street and waited for her to turn around. “You know I’m right” he called out.

She stuck her tongue out at him and kept on walking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh she almost let it slip. It's hard to keep secrets from someone you've always shared with.

Great chapter but I wonder, is Cilla going to be a Jon's and Jon's going to go to Cilla's, lol.

Looking forward to the next chapter!!

Peg

JohnnaJovi said...

I am soooooooooooo happy Sid & Mark gettng married. I couldn't hold a secret either if it was that BIG!!!!!

I am loving the story, Queenie Steph!!!!

 
©2009 Sweet Dreams | by TNB