Chapter 53

Jon's eyes fluttered opened, Cilla was still tucked in against him sleeping soundly. He reached behind him, groping on the night table for his watch. They had been asleep for a little more than an hour and, looking down at Cilla, the shadows under her eyes made his decision for him, he’d let her sleep a little longer before waking her.

Easing away from her, he stood and groaned appreciatively as he stretched his back. Glancing around the room he laughed quietly. Their clothes were strewn about from the door to the bed, his chair was lying on its side and his untouched breakfast had gone cold. Picking up his jeans he headed into the bathroom.

After a quick shower he gathered up their clothes and set them on the chair near the bed. He gazed down at Cilla, stroking her cheek; he still couldn't believe she was actually here. He'd have to find some way to thank Richie properly for this. With a last stroke across her shoulder he turned and headed over to the table. He still needed to find a way to stream the game later.

Settling in the chair he slid the computer closer, only then noticing the pink lace hanging from the corner of the screen. Chuckling he grabbed Cilla's bra and got up to set it with the rest of their clothes, fingering it lightly as he moved across the room. Sneaking a peek at Cilla to make sure she was still sleeping, he brought the pink lace up to his face and inhaled lightly, her scent still lingered there.

When the knock came he started, dropping the bit of pink and he could feel the heat rush to his cheeks. The last thing he needed was one of the guys catching him sniffing his girl's underwear; he'd never hear the end of that. "Shit" he mumbled as he scooped up the bra and set it on the chair before answering the door.

Expecting to find Richie knocking on his door, Jon was surprised to find David on the other side of the door; he motioned him in, “what do you want?”

David looked around, “where is she, I want to meet her.”

Jon shushed him “shhh, she’s sleeping man, keep it down.”

David’s gaze flicked over to the small lump in Jon’s bed. All he could see was a bare shoulder and her spill of dark hair. “Bored her to sleep already man?”

Jon just shook his head and laughed, “no man, and not that it’s any of your business, but by the time she got here she had been up nearly two full days. After we said hello properly, she fell asleep. You can meet her later.”

David studied Jon. He had come to Jon’s room wanting to meet the woman who had found a way to ease his friend’s tension, lighten his mood and put the smile back in his eyes. But more than that, he wanted to make sure she wasn’t some fortune hunting game player who was just using Jon to get what she wanted. They had all fallen for that type at least once and they had made a pact to watch out for each other when it came to the women they dated.

When David just stood there Jon sighed, knowing what he was thinking. “She’s not like that man, honest. Richie met her and spent time with her. Trust me.”

Dave snorted, remembering some of the women Richie had dated, “and you think he’s the best judge of character?”

Neither men were aware that Cilla had woken up and was listening to their every word. Soundlessly, wrapping the sheet around her, she got out of the bed and slipped into the bathroom. Finding her sleep shirt on the back of the door she slid it on and stepped out into the room, moving up behind Jon, sliding her arms around him.

David watched her cross the room, the deep red silk man’s shirt left her legs bare and he could see why his front man had taken a shine to this woman. She was beautiful, but that didn’t mean anything. They had all long ago learned that a pretty face wasn’t everything.

Jon rested his hands over hers and turned his head, their mouths met in a chaste kiss. “Sorry we woke you Sweets, David here doesn’t know how to be quiet.” He turned his attention back to his keyboard player, “looks like you get to meet her after all.”

Cilla stepped from behind Jon and extended her hand, “I’m Cilla; it’s nice to meet you.” He took her hand and was surprised at the strength in her grip; it was a complete contrast to the softness of her skin. “Have you enjoyed your care packages?” He nodded, “very much, thank you.”

“Good” she smiled sweetly, “I’m glad”. Still holding his hand she continued, “let’s just clear the air right now. I’m not after Jon for anything. I have more than enough money of my own than I’ll ever be able to spend in my life and I don’t care about his fame. My business was doing fine before he came into my life and,” she turned to look at Jon, “if things don’t work out, my business will be fine after.”

Her grip tightened on David’s and he winced, “I love him and you have no right to judge me. You don’t even know me.” She let his hand drop. “If you’ll both excuse me” she turned on her heel and headed back toward the bathroom.

Closing herself in the bathroom Cilla leaned back against the door and took a deep breath, she hadn’t expected that, especially not from him. David, to her mind, had always seemed the fun loving good humor guy of the band. She sighed, hoping she hadn’t damaged her relationship with Jon by the way she had spoken to his friend. Turning to the sink she had just turned the water on when a quiet knock sounded.

“Baby, can I come in?”

Shutting the water off, she opened the door, “hey.”

He walked in and leaned back against the counter, they both spoke at the same time.

“Sweets, I want to apol…”

“Jon, I’m sorry for…”

The both laughed. Jon took her hands, “Sweets, I’m sorry David never should have said those things. He was only looking out for me.”

She squeezed his hands, “no, he shouldn’t have. I was going to apologize for the way I talked to him, but I don’t think I should.”

Jon agreed, “no, you don’t have to apologize. And for the record, I knew all that about you anyway. If I had even had the slightest inkling you were that type, I never would have pursued you Sweets.”

He tugged Cilla closer, resting his forehead against hers, “don’t be mad at him for this, please?”

“Well,” she hedged, “can you at least tell me why he felt the need to be looking out for you?”

“When Rich, Dave and I all found ourselves single again, we each fell in with that type of woman, some of us more than once” Jon explained. “And we made a pact after Richie dumped Denise that we’d watch out for each other. That’s all Dave was doing. He really is a good guy Sweets.”

Cilla sighed, “I guess I can’t be mad, but if he talks to me or about me like that again, I may be forced to lace his cookies with a slow acting laxative.”

Jon laughed, “Remind me never to get on your bad side Sweets.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Atta girl Cilla!! Give Dave the truth straight up.

Great chapter!! Thanks for update and as always, I'll be waiting for more.

Colleen

Anonymous said...

Great chapter!! I'm really enjoying this story.

Marcella

 
©2009 Sweet Dreams | by TNB