Chapter 48

Staring out the window Cilla reached for her robe. The sky was full of twinkling stars, the street below quiet in the deep of the night. She had managed a few hours of sleep, but the longing ache from her dreams had woken her and now that she was awake she might as well head downstairs and get started on her day.

Sid breezed in several hours later to find that she had everything ready to go. All the cases were filled, the pans were washed and stacked and she was pecking way on her computer.

“How long have you been at it today Cil?” He was worried about her. The shadows under her eyes were getting darker by the day and she was getting in here earlier and earlier.

He was sure she wasn’t eating either; it was starting to show in her face, the hollow cheeks told him he was right. It was just how she dealt with her feelings, when she went through all that shit with Charles he watched as she faded away to almost nothing. He finally had to force her to eat amid threats of hospitalization if she didn’t. She didn’t talk about it with anyone, she just kept on going, but eating fell to the wayside.

She kept pecking away, not even looking up when she spoke, “long enough to save you from having to do anything.” Knowing the reason behind her mood, he let that barb go. He laid his hand on her arm, “Cil you look like shit.” She whipped her head away from the screen to look at him, “screw you Sid.” She turned back to the computer screen, continuing to click away.

Sid sighed and went to get his apron. “Did you eat breakfast at least?” She just shook her head. He walked back over to where she was working, “what are you doing that is so much more interesting than talking to me?” He peered over her shoulder, “what is that?”

Pushing her hair back she straightened up slightly, “if you must know, I’m trying to finish the design for the cake that Jon wants me to do for the last night of the tour.” Sid’s eyes widened and his brows rose in surprise, “when did he ask you to do that and why didn’t you tell me?”

Cilla closed the cover on her laptop and gave Sid her full attention, “he asked a while ago and I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I wasn’t sure he wanted me to tell anyone.” Sid nearly pouted. He couldn’t believe she didn’t tell him. “But I’m your best friend; you always tell me stuff you aren’t supposed to.” Cilla sighed, “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you Sid, and I’m sorry I snapped at you when you came in. You didn’t deserve that.”

He pulled her from the stool she was perched on and wrapped her in a hug, “I know you miss him sweetie, but you need to sleep and you need to eat. Skipping either isn’t going to bring him back any quicker.” He eyed her phone that was lying on the table next to her computer, “why don’t you go upstairs and call him. I’ll be fine down here for a bit.”

She rolled her head against Sid’s shoulder, “you’re too good to me Sid.” She sniffed back her tears, “I don’t deserve you for a friend, never have.” He patted her back, “of course you don’t, but you’re stuck with me.” He pressed her away from him, “now go call your man and get out of this funk you’re in. You need some sleep and a decent meal too, Jon’s not going to like this bag of bones you’re slowly becoming.”

Cilla reached for her phone; then let her hand fall away “maybe I shouldn’t. What if he’s busy? I don’t want to bother him.” Sid picked up the phone and pressed it into her hand as he pushed her toward the door, “go call him. He’ll talk to you, even if it’s only to say ‘I’ll have to call you back.’ Go!”

When the door shut behind her Sid leaned against it, rubbing a hand across his forehead. “I wonder if Richie is having the same trouble with Jon” he wondered aloud as he headed out to the front of the store.

~

Sitting on her bed Cilla stared at the phone in her hand for several long moments, debating with herself before she finally scrolled through her contacts to ‘blue eyes’ and hitting send.

Jon was getting ready to head out for sound check when his phone buzzed at his hip. Reaching for the doorknob with one hand he grabbed the phone from his hip with the other. A smile spread across his face when he glanced at the window and saw who was calling. He turned and leaned against the door, all thought of leaving pushed aside as he flipped his phone open.

“Sweets.”

The sound of his jersey-tinged voice even through the phone was enough to help ease the ache. She lay back on the bed and smiled.

“Jonny.”

The soft whispery tone of her voice eased the tension, had Jon’s jeans tightening and his stance widening as he leaned against the door. “How are you Sweets?” God he missed her.

“Better now” she sighed. Turning her head she glanced up at the poster over her bed, her eyes homing in on him. “Did I catch you at a bad time?”

He shook his head, “no, not at all.” He was going to be late for sound check he mused, and he had a feeling his friends wouldn’t mind one bit.

Jon glanced at his watch, she should be working right now and he drew an image of her in her kitchen, “what are you doing Sweets, working?”

“No” she smiled, “Sid shoved me out the door with my phone. I’m lying on my bed looking at you.” When he didn’t say anything she continued, “you looked rather sexy with all that long hair but however did you manage to get those jeans on? They looked like they were cutting off your circulation.”

Jon chuckled; she was looking at that damn poster over her bed. “I looked like I was wearing a mop on my head and those jeans weren’t as tight as you might think.” He paused, “you liked the hair?”

It was Cilla’s turn to chuckle. “I did.” She kept her voice low, “I always wanted to run my fingers through it. Although I have to admit, the bigger thrill for me is getting to run my fingers through the hair on your chest.”

Jon pressed himself harder against the door; he could just about feel her soft, strong hands running over him. His nipples tightened in response. “Sweets, you’re going to send me to sound check with a limp.”

“Should I be sorry?”

He shook his head, “no, but you should be prepared to go back to work more than a little frustrated.” Two can play at this game he thought.

She thought for a minute, “so I guess I shouldn’t tell you that I’d like nothing better than to worry your nipples with my tongue as my fingers slide down over your stomach and trace the sexy vee of your hip bones?”

Jon groaned, “only if I can tell you that I’d give my right arm to feel you writhing under me as my lips skim over your neck and shoulders, trailing down to take one pretty pink nipple in my mouth as my fingers slide lower to tease your...” He stopped when the pounding on the door started.

Cilla whimpered, her nipples had hardened and she could feel the wetness in her panties from his words alone. “Why’d you stop?”

He closed his eyes and turned, letting his forehead bang against the door, “because there are four assholes on the other side of my door banging on it because I’m late.” So much for them not minding him being late.

Cilla took a breath, “you said it wasn’t a bad time to call.”

Jon sighed, “it’s never a bad time for you to call Sweets. I’ll always make the time to talk to you. But I really should go now.”

Cilla wanted to cry but she kept herself in check. She would be strong for him if it killed her. “It’s okay. Call me later and maybe we can finish what we started here.”

Jon smiled, “you can count on that Sweets. I love you.”

The pounding on the door became more insistent, “come on man, we’re late!”

“Go Jonny, I’ll talk to you later. I love you too.” She hung up before he could say anything more.

Jon took a few deep breaths, trying to get himself under control. Thinking about anything other than her he opened the door, “come on assholes, let’s get this show on the road.”

2 comments:

cali jovi girl said...

great chapter!!! i am really enjoying this story!!! funny that you have Richie and Sid having to deal with the lovebirds missing each other. It must be hard for Cilla and Jon to be away for so long...hope they have a happy reunion. or a quick getaway in between....

Anonymous said...

Well, they're both in the same place aren't there, lol. I love his nick-name for Cilla.

Great chapter. Anxiously waiting for more.

Colleen

 
©2009 Sweet Dreams | by TNB